About Northwest Arkansas 211
Please note that dialing 2-1-1 or our toll-free number will only connect to our service if you are located in Northwest Arkansas (Benton, Carroll, Madison, or Washington County). If you are outside our service area, you can still use our online database to search for resources, or contact your local United Way for direct assistance. A list of United Way offices in Arkansas can be found here: http://apps.unitedway.org/myuw/luindex.cfm?id=browsecities&zip=00000&abbr=AR&app. Thank-you for your understanding.
2-1-1 is an easy to remember telephone number that, where available, connects people with important community services and volunteer opportunities. The implementation of 2-1-1 is being spearheaded by United Ways and comprehensive and specialized information and referral agencies in states and local communities. United Way of America (UWA) and the Alliance for Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) strongly support federal funding so that every American has access to this essential service.
Every hour of every day, someone in the United States needs essential services - from finding an after-school program to securing adequate care for a child or an aging parent. Faced with a dramatic increase in the number of agencies and help-lines, people often don't know where to turn. In many cases, people end up going without these necessary services because they do not know where to start. 2-1-1 helps people find and give help.
While services that are offered through 2-1-1 vary from community to community, 2-1-1 provides callers with information about and referrals to human services for every day needs and in times of crisis. For example, 2-1-1 can offer access to the following types of services:
- Basic Human Needs Resource: food banks, clothing closets, shelters, rent assistance, utility assistance.
- Physical and Mental Health Resources: health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health, Children's Health Insurance Program, medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, drug and alcohol intervention and rehabilitation.
- Employment Supports: financial assistance, job training, transportation assistance, education programs.
- Support for Older Americans and Persons with Disabilities: adult day care, congregate meals, Meals on Wheels, respite care, home health care, transportation, homemaker services.
- Support for Children, Youth and Families: childcare, after school programs, Head Start, family resource centers, summer camps and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring, protective services.
- Volunteer Opportunities and Donations.
Arkansas is not a state that mandates telephone service providers to translate three digit dialing to the 211 system. If you are having problems dialing Arkansas 211 from your home phone or your cell phone, please contact your service provider telling them you want to be able to dial 211 from your phone.
If you are having problems dialing from your work and your company has a PBX system, let your systems administrator know so he can program the system to allow dialing out to 211.
In the mean time you can use our 866 number to connect to the 211 system. 866-489-6983
United Way of Northwest Arkansas 2-1-1 is currently answering calls in Benton, Carroll, Madison and Washington Counties only in Arkansas. All other areas in the State do not have this service available at this time. However, we are maintaining the website for the entire State and it is being kept with the most current information available in the database."
Fact SheetPublic Service Commission Authorization